"A Green Conference"
AORTIC 2015 will endeavour to reduce the environmental footprint of the conference through the implementation of a sustainability policy. Listed below are some of the actions that will be taken during the planning phase and at the conference.
- Recycling: Paper, plastic, glass and tins will be recycled. Recycling centres will be set up around the venue and delegates will be reminded to make use of them in conference communications. Delegates will be encouraged to leave unwanted name pouches and lanyards for re-use. Unwanted stationery and delegate bags can be left for redistribution to, for example, less-fortunate schoolchildren.
- Locally-sourced materials: Congress materials including the delegate bags and lanyards will be produced locally with an emphasis on local job creation.
- Delegate handbook and other printed materials: Where possible, all printed materials will be printed on recycled or environmentally-responsible paper.
- Online conference materials: AORTIC 2015 abstracts will be available online at the conference website to prevent the unnecessary waste of printing. Alternatively, USB flash drives can be produced with all conference materials pre-loaded (this is also a sponsorship opportunity).
- The menu: Menus will be designed using local, seasonal produce and where possible, condiments such as sugars and sauces will be served in glassware rather than individually pre-packaged.
- Accommodation: The official AORTIC 2015 conference hotels will be encouraged to follow a green policy for the duration of the conference. Hotels that do follow greening practices will be listed on the conference website. Delegates will be encouraged to assist with this policy by only changing linen and towels on request and remembering to switch off their lights and air conditioning when they are not in their hotel rooms.
- Decor and flowers: The AORTIC 2015 organisers will request that all flower arrangements are all indigenous flowers, and provide living plants in conference venues when budget allows.
- Delegate bag inserts: Exhibitors and sponsors will be encouraged to provide only sustainable giveaways and limits will be placed on the number of delegate bag inserts. The use of sustainable materials such as soy-based inks and recycled paper will be encouraged, as well as limited packaging.
- Speaker gifts: Promotional and speaker gifts should be made from sustainable materials, use minimal packaging, and be sourced locally.
Delegates at AORTIC 2015 are encouraged to adopt this policy for the duration of the Conference.